Inclusive Mosque Initiative – Project Manager
Salary: £30,300 (12 month contract with possibility to extend to 24 months)
Hours: 35 hours per week. Normally Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and occasionally on weekends and outside these hours
Location: Home based
The Inclusive Mosque Initiative (IMI)
Launched in 2012, the Inclusive Mosque Initiative is a charity dedicated to creating safe spaces for marginalised communities to worship, talk and find community based on a shared understanding of inclusive principles. We are looking for a self-motivated, highly organised individual to take on the planning and implementation of key operational projects within the organisation. You will be working from home as part of a mutually supportive network of skilled individuals. The ideal candidate will need to be based in London to attend events and meetings during the day and occasional evenings and weekends with time off in lieu.
If you would like to apply for the job share option, please mention this in your application.
Over the next 24 months, the Inclusive Mosque Initiative will be running quarterly seminars to an audience of 100-150 people on issues related to social justice and Islam. The seminars will be filmed and used as online content for our website, through which we aim to reach people who cannot physically attend. The project manager will be expected to plan and execute these seminars from start to finish from booking venues and speakers to liaising with audio visual technicians and ensuring the online content meets our accessibility standards. They will work with our communications manager on marketing.
The project manager will also handle the finance and operations around our regular Friday prayers (Jummahs), Eid celebrations, activities during Ramadan, and smaller discussion-based events that develop the themes of the seminars. The successful candidate will be required to attend and oversee Friday prayers (they will not be required to pray or take part in religious rituals).
They will oversee the planning and execution of our paid-for officiate services such as wedding ceremonies (nikkahs), funeral services and naming ceremonies. Part of this role involves co-ordinating our consultancy services to external parties.
The successful candidate will be responsible for:
- Event planning and delivery
- Volunteer coordination
- Coordinating paid-for religious services and consultancy
- Funding applications
- Networking with other organisations
- Managing media enquiries
- Communications and marketing for specific events
- Report writing for funders and other stakeholders
- General admin- This includes responding to external communications within a two-day period. Signposting queries to relevant individuals or organisations. Managing expenses and reimbursement for IMI personnel and guests.
- Self-motivated, positive person with an optimistic attitude, emotionally mature and a good awareness of the challenges that an organisation like IMI faces.
- A demonstrable understanding of intersectionality and social justice.
- An understanding of the needs of service beneficiaries and a commitment to stakeholder care.
- Proven ability to work on your own initiative, recognising tasks that need to be undertaken, and managing your time effectively to ensure deadlines are met.
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English, both orally and in writing with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build effective working relationships with colleagues or internal/external partners and volunteers.
- Ability to work with other managers and advisers to identify the opportunities for volunteers to contribute to the work of IMI.
- Ability to use a petty cash system to process volunteer expenses and to support volunteers with their expense claims.
- Experience of working with British Muslim communities
- Experience of working in the charity sector
- Project management.
- Event planning and management.
- Writing successful funding applications and identifying new funders.
- Managing volunteers and understanding their contribution.
- Experience writing reports, note taking and correspondence; with the ability to adapt your communication style for different groups.
- Experience in volunteer development
- Level 1 or above BSL interpretation
- Experience working with disabled people and knowledge of accessibility requirements
Applicants must be 16+ and be resident in the UK at the time of application and be UK/EU citizens or holders of a valid UK work permit.
Interviews will take place in London on Friday 2nd June 2017. The successful candidate will need to be available to start before June 30th 2017. Applicants should send a CV and cover letter to admin[at]inclusivemosqueinitiative.org, extended deadline means by end of 26th May 2017.
Inclusive Mosque Initiative – Fundraiser
Initially, the post is on a voluntary basis, but a salary is available after the successful candidate has secured funding for their role.
Salary: £24,000 – £27,000 pro rata (subject to experience and reviews)
Contract Period: Self-employed, length dependent on funding secured
Hours: 14 hours per week (2 days) Normally Monday to Friday 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and occasionally on weekends and outside these hours
Location: Home based
Overall purpose of the post
In this key role you will build successful relationships with supporters, funders and philanthropists in securing funds for the organisation and your role. The ability to network is crucial. This role has the capacity to grow in number of working hours. Initially, the post is on a voluntary basis, but a salary is available after they have secured funding for their role.
• Secure funding for own post as Inclusive Mosque Initiative Fundraiser;
• generate increased income from charitable trusts whose criteria match the organisation’s aims and activities;
• developing and implement a strategy for potential funding opportunities;
• managing and updating databases to record donor contact and preference information;
• writing applications and mail-shots to reach a wide range of potential and current donors;
• making risk analyses and balancing time-cost ratios to focus effort on the most appropriate fundraising activities with the highest chance of success;
• developing and coordinating web-based fundraising;
• motivating and facilitating supporters to maximise the raising of funds;
• inspiring new supporters to raise money, while maintaining and developing relationships with existing supporters;
• developing new and imaginative fundraising activities;
• raising awareness of the organisation and its work at local and national levels, e.g. by giving talks to groups or seeking photo opportunities with the media;
• be willing and flexible to travel requirements and schedules.
Skills & Experience required:
• Work with financial figures and reporting experience;
• Successful grant making experience;
• Successful fundraising experience;
• Monitoring and evaluation experience;
• Experience in working with charitable trusts, grant makers, individual donors and philanthropists;
• Negotiation skills;
• IT skills (including web skills);
• Excellent English oral and written communications skills, including public speaking;
• Customer service and charisma skills;
• Good organisational and time management skills, able to work independently and with others in a professional manner;
• A commitment to the equality of opportunities for all;
• The ability to understand and empathise with a variety of Muslim communities;
• Be willing to undertake other duties as required to ensure the proper functioning of the team.
To apply for this post, please send us your CV and a cover letter no more than two A4 pages outlining your suitability according to the skills and experience list. Applications can be sent to email@example.com or by post to Inclusive Mosque Initiative, 87a Corbyn Street, London, N4 3BY.